1934 - 2004
mixed media on paper
signed and dated 1972
13 1/4 x 12 3/4 in, 33.7 x 32.4 cm
Estimate: $300 - $500
Sold for: $188
Preview at: Heffel Toronto – 13 Hazelton Ave
Galerie Arnaud, Paris
Private Collection, USA
Private Collection, Toronto
The celebrated Galerie Arnaud was founded in Paris by Jean-Robert Arnaud and John Franklin Koenig. The two met in Paris in the late 1940s, when Arnaud, originally from Algiers, owned a library that Koenig frequented. Koenig, who was from Seattle, was in Paris to study literature. Arnaud sold his library in 1950 and the two invested in a new library together at 34 rue du Four, which also housed an exhibition space to feature modern art exhibitions. With their modest budgets, they began by renting the space to budding artists to exhibit their works, typically focused on abstract avant-garde and lyrical abstraction. Galerie Arnaud’s first exhibitions in 1951 featured the works of Jack Youngerman and Ellsworth Kelly, and their list of important and exciting shows grew very quickly. In 1962 the gallery moved to the famous boulevard Saint-Germain in a new space designed by André Wogenscky and they continued to draw crowds for impressive exhibitions. During this time, they also published a magazine called Cimaise (later changed to Cimaise revue de l'art actuel), which focused on art and the avant-garde movements of the time. Galerie Arnaud closed its doors permanently in 1978.
Please note this work is unframed.
All prices are in Canadian Dollars
Although great care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of the information posted, errors and omissions may occur. All bids are subject to our Terms and Conditions of Business.